AYO! KITA BICARA HIV & AIDS
(HEY! LET’S TALK ABOUT HIV & AIDS):
"Seribu Orang Tua Hanya Dapat Bermimpi Satu Orang Pemuda Dapat Mengubah Dunia"
- Ir. Soekarno –
2010 - 2014, AYO! Kita Bicara HIV & AIDS had done EduSpirit Workshops Program in 71 high schools in 9 regencies in Bali, reached 4260 students and 180 teachers. Trained 17 profesional facilitators in Bali to deliver EduSpirit Workshop in Bali and built communities network with NGO (Spirit Paramaciita foundation, Bali Children's Project Foundation, Bumi Sehat Foundation, Bali Peduli Foundation,KPA, Local Government in each Regency, Health Department, Education, Youth and Sports Department).
The Module EduSpirit Workshop for students is including:
Pre test, games/ energizer, interactive discussion with adult learning method about portrait of teenagers; STI (Sexual Transmitted Infection); HIV and AIDS; peer education through behaviour change and communication; condom; post test, review of the topic, evaluation, yoga introduction, empowering network community sessions, and program on general regeneration facilitators for students and youth in Bali.
The next phase of EduSpirit Workshop Program of AYO! Kita Bicara HIV & AIDS in 2015 covers:
North of Badung Regency, Tabanan Regency, Bangli Regency (Focusing on borders/secluded villages)
As of Oktober 2014, the region of Bali ranks five in the nation of Indonesia for rates per capital of new infections of HIV.
According to the Bali Health Department (DINAS Kesehatan Bali, released October 2014):
- 10.437 cumulative cases of HIV infection and AIDS were reported in Bali
- 986 new cases of HIV infection and 697 new cases of AIDS were reported in Bali, between the months of January until October 2014
- 40% of reported cases are young people aged 15 – 29
- An estimated 30% of new cases go unreported
In response to the critical need for HIV and AIDS education in Bali, BaliSpirit Outreach Program established the AYO! Kita Bicara HIV & AIDS (Hey! Let's Talk HIV and AIDS) in 2010 to combat the growing epidemic of HIV dan AIDS among young people in Bali. The AYO! program empowers teenagers to guard their own physical and emotional health and act with empathy toward others within their community.
In response to the critical need for HIV & AIDS education in Bali, BaliSpirit Outreach established the AYO! Kita Bicara HIV & AIDS (Hey! Let's Talk HIV and AIDS) program in 2010 to combat the growing epidemic of HIV & AIDS among young people in Bali. The AYO! program empowers teenagers to guard their own physical and emotional health and act with empathy toward others within their community.
Our program is comprised of several facets, namely:
- 1. Interactive EduSpirit workshops for Balinese high school students
- 2. Annual community events such as awareness concerts
- 3. Interactive talkshow in Radios
- 4. Educational videos and public service announcements
- 5. Social media campaigns nation wide
The AYO! Outreach activities work to prevent new cases of HIV & AIDS among Balinese youth and reduce the stigma and discrimination toward people living with HIV & AIDS.
1. The EduSpirit Workshops
"EduSpirit" workshops are centered on the harmony of a balanced education, not as a process of "teaching" information, but as a means to "learn" through thoughtful communication and shared experience. Emotional and spiritual wellbeing are also fundamental to overall health and happiness. By creating a safe and trusting environment, the EduSpirit Workshops encourage high school students to talk openly about HIV & AIDS.
Accurate information sharing in a fun and relaxed environment, combined with exercises in open communication, empathy, and spiritual and emotional development sets AYO! apart from other healthcare education programs and ensures Bali's young people develop the crucial critical thinking skills and social compassion necessary to combat the spread of HIV & AIDS, as well as the social stigma surrounding the disease.
The EduSpirit Workshops provide:
- Sex education through creative and engaging information exchange
- Information on high-risk behaviors, including unprotected sex and intravenous drug use
- Information on HIV and AIDS testing and treatment
- Direct and open discussion to overcome the stigma of talking about sex and HIV and AIDS
- Yoga to encourage social compassion and emotional and spiritual health
2. Annual Community Events
Since 2011, the BaliSpirit Festival has hosted a FREE community concert on the public football field in central Ubud to raise awareness about HIV & AIDS. The first concert attracted more than 3,000 people, and the second year, more than 6,000. The AYO! Awareness Concerts have featured some of Bali and greater Indonesia's most well-known performing artists and dedicated advocates for HIV & AIDS awareness, including Ras Muhamad, Robi (Navicula), Ray D'Sky, Bintang (Bali), Dialog Dini Hari, Nymphea, and Kis Band (Bali).
Addltlonal Concert Features:
- Onsite Condoms Booth
- Onsite Sponsor Vendor Booth
- Onsite EduSpirit Booth
Annual Awareness Concert aims to:
- Disseminate accurate information about HIV & AIDS prevention, treatment, and social acceptance within Balinese communities, particularly teenagers and young adults
- Encourage individuals and local communities to take stronger action in reversing negative social and cultural behavior caused by stigma, discrimination, and misinformation about people already infected with HIV
3. Interactive Talkshow in Radios
Start from November 2014, every Thursday AYO! Kita Bicara HIV&AIDS goes to talkshow HIV and AIDS at Radio Gelora 104,8 Fm Gianyar every thursday on 12 PM-1 PM and at Radio Bali 98.9 Fm every Tuesday on 07 PM-08PM. The aims of our talkshow are share information and increase public interest in HIV and AIDS.
4. Educational Videos and Public Service Announcements
In 2013, AYO! Kita Bicara HIV & AIDS expanded its educational platforms to include an annual Public Service Announcement and youth-led Social Medial Campaigns. High school students here in Bali contribute the majority of the Indonesian-language messaging on HIV & AIDS for our profiles on Facebook (Like us at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ayo-Ubud/200509349960951) and Twitter (Follow us at @ayoubud).
AYO! Also collaborates with local nonprofit foundations Yayasan Spirit Paramacitta and the Bali Children's Project to provide Balinese youth with access to HIV testing and support to apply for needs-based educational scholarships.
We extend our heartfelt thanks to current and past supporters and collaborators for the AYO! Kita Bicara HIV & AIDS Outreach Program:
- Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS Provinsi Bali
- Komisi Penanggulangan AIDS Kabupaten Gianyar
- Province and Regency Health Department
- Province and Regency Education, Youth and Sports
- DKT Indonesia (Fiesta and Sutra Condoms)
- YAMAHA Indonesia
- Antida Records
- Local Musicians
Yayasan Kryasta Guna & BaliSpirit Festival, Yayasan Spirit Paramacitta, Yayasan Bali Peduli, Yayasan Bumi Sehat, Yayasan Bali Children Project
We Believe Education Through Interactive Communication can Help to Slow the Spread, Loses the Stigma, and Ends the Discrimination on HIV & AIDS
Be Part of Something that Can Change Our World!
For more information or to support this outreach initiative, contact: email@example.com