Bali Spirit Festival 2010: Top 12 Musical Highlights
April 10, 2010
- The sequencing of the music acts, alternating between local and overseas acts, and overall time management
- Best new BSF star: Ayu Lakshmi, as a new face of young Bali, engaging with the West but firmly rooted in local Balinese traditions
- New frontiers of fusion between genres, eg. Kultiration: reggae + Swedish folk
- Collaboration between overseas artistes (eg. MahaKirtan); collaboration between overseas artistes and local artistes (eg. with Catur Widodo, Ayu Lakshmi)
- The masked actors, and the theatrical feel they added to the music
- Terrific dance and music sessions in yoga workshops, eg. Bollywood, West African dance
- Absolutely trance-like hypnotic sessions by Mamadou Diabate and Indonesian gamelan ensembles
- Magnificent DJ set by Cheb I Sabbah, right till 2 am!
- Grand finale: seamless transition from Afro Moses to the final jam
- Support by governments for overseas artistes: Australia, Canada, Sweden
- The rain on Day Three, with the audience on the stage during the Lynx&Janover performance! And carrying right through despite the rain!
- The local friendly neighbourhood stray dog, who wandered onto stage each night!
Written by : Madanmohan Rao